Quarantine + pregnancy = lots of baking! My second pregnancy has brought to me some very strong sugar cravings which has led me to bake too many cakes and eat lots of chocolate. Doesn’t sound very good, right? Well yes, and as I saw at my last doctor’s appointment how much weight I had gained I actually decided to stay away from sugar and gluten for a while. Now whenever I, or should I say my baby haha, wants something sweet, I try to satisfy the craving with a healthier option. If you are also interested in staying away from refined sugar and gluten this recipe is for you! A gluten- and dairy-free lemon chia seed muffins 😉
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a medium size bowl mix together the coconut flour, chia seeds, baking soda and salt
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with almond milk. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil, honey, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Sugar is addictive! But there are so many alternatives to sugar! Healthy versions of baked goods are obviously not as satisfying as the real deal but once you stay away from sugar for a while you almost forget what it tastes like! The truth is, the more sugar you eat the more you want it so it is wise to limit your sugar intake or do a detox of zero sugar for some time. That’s what I felt like my body needed and so far those lemon chia seed muffins are doing a pretty good job at keeping me away from chocolate 🙂
Did you try to make those healthy muffins? Let me know how you liked them and feel free to share with me some other healthy recipes 🙂