First of all, I am not a person with a big sweet tooth. I would have pizza over a dessert anytime!! If I’m craving sweets I usually go for either ice cream or lemon bars but I would never even think of a chocolate cake. I’ve just never liked chocolate cakes. Until I randomly found a recipe which was actually good and I started making my own version of it. If I were in a restaurant I would still never order a chocolate cake, this recipe I’m sharing with you is the only chocolate cake I’ll eat and this should be a pretty great proof for you that it is THE BEST EVER CHOCOLATE CAKE!
What you’ll need besides the ingredients
- Two 9-inch cake pans
- Hand mixer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli Premium Baking Cocoa)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinger
- 1 cup boiling water
Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup earth vegan butter (original recipe- regular butter)
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY’S cocoa
- 1/3 cup almond milk (original recipe- whole milk)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease cake pans. (I also lightly flour for easy removal).
- Use a small bowl or cup to add almond milk and apple cider vinegar, stir slightly and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and almond milk/apple cider vinegar mixture. Mix on medium speed with hand mixer until well combined.
- Carefully pour in the boiling water and use a hand mixer on low speed. The batter might seem a bit runny but this is how it should be!
- Divide the batter evenly between cake pans. bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth-pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes and then remove them from pans carefully. let them cool completely before frosting.
- Melt butter
- Stir in cocoa
- Add powdered sugar and milk
- Add additional milk if needed
- Stir in vanilla
* garnish with powdered sugar and berries of choice!
In my opinion what truly makes this cake delicious is the cake itself. It is so moist and not too sweet! You can totally play around with the frosting though, I make a different frosting almost every time, probably because it’s never exactly the consistency I want. Not going to write here how much calories it is because I don’t know and don’t care cause obviously, there’s a lot!!! But hey, you have to treat yourself every now and then and so if you’ve picked out this recipe, I really hope you’ll enjoy it 🙂 Oh, and let me know how you liked it!? Would you agree that it’s the best chocolate cake ever?? 😉